Saturday, November 6, 2010

Travel plans and how they successfully unravel...

I've been planning to go back to the US for over a year ago - since it was told to me i HAD to go back to attend a wedding - i was so stoked that someone actually wanted me somewhere... well besides Brian...lol

Having a child with ASD in particular means you can't just surprise them with something on the spur of the moment and expect them to be all peachy about it - it's actually suicidal!! Not telling them would cause all types of psychiatric issues as well, so have been speaking about it almost from the time of the verbal invite... All of my children (except Matthew because it doesn't directly impact upon him since he lives interstate) have been spoken to, consistently, about where i am going, how i am getting there, the airline, what will i eat, what will i do, what am i going to wear, who will i see - the questions are endless..

I pull Google maps up all the time to show them the distance and how long the flights take and where i change flights - if you can think of a question, i have answered it at least five times to each child, and then of course the occasional friend will also get curious, which i think is great too!!

But i leave in four days now, the reality is setting in, and we are starting to get the tears and the mournful looks - as if me feeling guilty about much needed time out wasn't bad enough LOL i know it's just a child thing, to get me to change my mind; it won't happen, and they just don't want to be without me for a week... They are scared because i'm all they have had for years, and i am nervous because, well, what if? Nothing will happen, and i know that between Brian, Angie, Tiffany, Stacey and Trista Rae my wishes will be carried out if disaster strikes!

So i am all but packed, now it's just the tiny things like phones and phone chargers, paperwork, pressies and what am i wearing!!! LMAO

Thursday cannot come fast enough...

3 comments:

  1. Chelle you have probably thought of every eventuality real or imagined while you are away. I'm right aren't I? Know that everything will work out and before your kids know it you will be right back with them. I'll probably feel their excitement from here. Now you promise to enjoy yourself and think happy thoughts :O)
    Love Merryl XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is autistic so I can relate to the surprise issue as well as never ending questions.

    I do hope you can relax and have a great time here in the states:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys - my first chance to check my blog... and there was one or two surprises while away, however not all were ugly LOL

    it was wonderful - the entire experience xx :o)

    ReplyDelete