Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happiness is...

... when you have a house filled with children, running, screaming, giggling and just causing pandemonium on a grand scale!

There were ten of us here last night, and i have never felt happier in my life. There was myself, Connor and Brielle, Trista Rae with her boyfriend Dean and his mate Dylan (we have adopted an Asian child together LOL - long story *giggling*) strumming away on their electric guitars all afternoon, Matthew and his girlfriend Shari who are both down for a visit from Brisbane, and Stacey and Alexander. Chaos never felt so good!

We had a roast dinner - i did a silverside with all the trimmings. Its the one thing i cook that the kids all recognise as being home - that and the spaghetti bolognaise i have to cook about five times a week because it is one of the few things Connor will eat! LOL One of Connor's sensory issues is oral defensiveness ie putting things in his mouth. If it's smooth and squishy and he doesn't need to chew too much, it will go in - anything else is a little battle! And also if there are too many colours on his plate, again it is an overload and he won't eat. Last night was a battle royal between the carrot sticks and the potatoes, after every baby pea was squished into his plate!! Who needs light sabres, we have julienned carrots!! LMAO Much attacking and counter attanking of these veges, his plate resembling bubble and squeak by the time he was through!!!

Happiness to me is also my love. He is amazing. I met Brian when i was at the lowest point possible in my life, and he totally helped turn me around. He did nothing special except accept me for who i am, all my pluses and minuses, and he has not once asked me to change a thing about myself. Quite the opposite, he has actually encouraged me to find who i am. I don't say he is why i changed; he supported me while i did the work! I changed for me! Our biggest negative is the distance between us; 8, 581.8 miles or 13, 811.1 kilometers, give or take a kilometer or two. Our biggest positive is the strength we have gained knowing that distance is not a barrier when it comes to your heart. We are both better people since meeting almost a year ago.

It was one of those Mills & Boons moments - the ones we all read about but are a little reticent about if they actually occur or not.... Yes they do *blows raspberries at all the cynics*. I was not looking, i was coming out of a destructive, humiliating relationship, and he drew the short straw; out of four friends i had in Houston at the time, he was the one who had to pick me up! It was instant for both of us, but i'm stubborn, and did not want a second international relationship. I was scared to death.

My heart and my intuition wouldn't listen, and my head gave in too eventually.

That trip changed my life. I not only started to find myself again - Chelle had been lost under being someone's Mum or wife for over 20 years, never mind always being someone's daughter; i was never me - but i was welcomed into a family and lifestyle that seems tailor made for me. I'll be honest, and personally i do not like a lot of what the US stands for (Wall Street, the movie, is what i think of when i think of the US as a whole), BUT, TEXAS was!!!

It again comes back to the generalisations i speak about, and it is why i adopted a person by person approach. 98% of all Americans i knew before the advent of Facebook were arrogant. I met a few beautiful people who i am still friends with today - most notable one also happens to be from Texas, just not Houston!! LOL The people i met whilst there were warm, caring and kind; something i have felt lacking in society for quite some time (here, it has become a quagmire of racial tensions and social inequality).

And they are also, for the most part, affiliated with the volunteer fire department. Yes, we girls all dream of a man in uniform, most notably a fireman, coming and rescuing us in our hour of need! Yes, he did, and he did it extremely well!

I was invited to a wedding, after inviting myself along to a barbecue when other plans i had made fell through (it just happened i swear! LMAO), and there, i was greeted by a family i have since adopted as my own. I also met a man who's life was tragically altered forever after a freak moment in time, and he showed me what courage was.

During my visit, also met one of the most gracious men i have ever had the pleasure to meet. He works with Brian, and he blew me away with his humility and his openess. He also happened to be one of my human guides while i discovered my inner witch! He helped me understand a few things that had happened, and through that, i started to learn to trust in myself and my so-called talents. I was welcomed into his home, and into his circle of friends - and they are all just as twisted as i am!! LMAO

I grew up as an Army brat. I never got roots, neither did i ever feel like i had them. Sydney has been my home for just over 20 years, and i do love my home, but i never felt "home" until i stepped off that plane. Setting aside the people i met, the town welcomed me; it was a deep knowing, a belonging, a final homecoming.

Happiness is being able to open a can of spaghetti on a cold winter's day and making some toast sails - and being told by your 7 year old son "You are awesome Mum, you should go on Masterchef - you'd win!"

Happiness is KISS (Keep It Simple, Sweetheart)

Happiness lays within your heart...

Happiness is knowing you belong...

Happiness is family...

Happiness is.... home...


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to become one of those friends here, it's going to be great when you're finally one of the few, the proud, the Texans!!! ROFLMAO
    And you're right about your honey's friend - who is also my friend and mentor - he's worth his weight in gold! Like I told you earlier - loving this blog, Chelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you already are xxx and thank you :o)

    ReplyDelete