Friday, July 23, 2010

What happened to our youth?

No, i'm not talking about the "OMG when did i get old!" garbage a lot of men and women wrestle with in their vanity - i'm talking about our kids who are forced to grow up way to quick these days.

Saturday school, tutoring, sports, activities, homework - we are trying to breed and nurture the ultimate human being here?? At what cost??

Kids have to wear the right brands and own the right shoes, bags, hair accessories, need to have the right gadgets and gizmos or they get ridiculed and isolated... i shudder to think how my Connor is going to be treated in a few years time...

Then there is the way boys and girls speak to each other...

I have a 16yo daughter, Trista Rae. Loud, proud, outspoken. Not afraid to get involved and help someone when they are in trouble. She was the kid that when someone was having a bad day at school she would take them to the office to see the school counsellor. She was the one who was picked on for being different, especially after she decided to take her tarot deck to school and read for other kids. It was that bad, i attempted to home school her. Two hair pulling years later i found placement for her in a TAFE run facility for senior high school. Pros: positive learning environment that treated everyone like an adult. Cons: age limit is unlimited - the oldest student there is 90 learning to speak english, many of these students are new migrants to the country.

Trista Rae is a gorgeous girl, and yes i am incredibly biased LOL She's decided she wanted to dye her hair red, like her Mum, she has beautiful eyes, funny, smart, and at times incredibly firey and hostile! Beautiful dancer and the biggest heart of any kid i know these days. If you are in a pickle, she's someone you'd want on your side.

I was really disappointed when i received a phone call from her school to notify me she had been absent for two weeks. Naturally she denied it at first, but when i received a fine in the mail that very day for being caught on a train without a ticket, well??...

That's when she told me she had been getting sexually harrassed by some of the boys in her class. About 80% of them actually. It turned out to be pretty vile, and the way she was spoken to and treated made me see seventeen shades of purple. They would slap her bottom, grab for her boobs, walk down a few steps below her so they could see up her hem when she wore a dress or skirt, one boy would even throw something on the floor so he could go on the floor and look up her skirt in the library. Then there were the comments like "Suck my cock, gorgeous!" or "Come here and f*ck me beautiful!"...

Then there was the racist stuff...

"She's just a stupid f*ckin aussie" "Stupid aussie c*nt, go home to where you come from""The only time you have any brains is when one of us have out d*cks in ya" "We own this country now b!tch! Remember that!"

UGH!!

I am tolerant, very much so. I embrace other cultures because i believe everyone has something to offer.....

I am struggling right now to find something positive out of this - my daughter's strength of character is the only thing i can see right now! I would never go to one of their countries and disrespect their people the way they think we can be mistreated. I value all life.

We have some strategies in place at the school to combat it. But if it doesn't stop, i will get the police involved and get the buttwipes arrested. The one who dropped things on the floor is 21 years old!!! Errrrrr, yeah..... I don't need to say anymore i guess - Connor has more sense than these "boys".

And then one of them tried to start something with me on my daughter's FB wall... stupid child! He believed telling me i was young and beautiful would mellow me??? I think not, idiot! Then he tried to intimidate me - i told him he was really tough from the other side of a monitor - all because i told him i didn't appreciate his potty mouth on my daughter's wall... she doesn't have immaculate speech either i must say, far from it - but there are times when they need to be "teenagers"... i saw this kids wall - not a cuss in sight... nice!

It's sad when kids these days have to grow up before their time... remember when you could walk the streets and feel safe around home?? No metal detectors at school or security guards, fences to keep predators out - its really really sad...

What is it going to be like when my babies have their babies???

When are people going to accept that to see change in this world, they have to be the change in the world...

I live by that example... it's a shame i appear to be alone for the most part in that attitude...

No comments:

Post a Comment